Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Army Under Obama

Here is a great article explaining how the army MIGHT fare under an Obama administration. For those red meat seekers, don’t bother. This is a fair look at the situation and all the the president-elect has to face.

The item to watch is the lifting of a ban on gays in the military. There are some 100 FORMER army generals and admirals supporting a lift on the ban. Where were these guys while they were active? Apparently the political correctness of our day and age has seeped into them. Perhaps they want a piece of the political pie?

I served. I saw what happened when ships went co-ed. It was tough. I lost a sailor because she got pregnant (on purpose, reportedly) and had to be removed from the ship. Fraternization was always a major issue, and people were constantly in trouble.

It was not the constant free-for-all some may have claimed it to be, but the loss of even one sailor hurts. That sailor was not replaced. The billet was supposed to be for a certain length of time- usually 2 to 4 years depending on the billet- and if the sailor was removed for whatever reason, it was a really long time before the system adjusted and we could submit a new requisition.

Putting gays in that situation is detrimental to morale. I am not homophobic; as I have said, I have folks that I am friends with who are gay. No biggie. But it IS a morale issue, as well as an issue regarding fraternization. I cannot put it any more bluntly than I have no doubt that the allowing of gays in the military (openly) would embolden them to be sexually promiscuous. I am NOT gay, and I went nuts sometimes, being away from women for 6 months at a time.

I’m not sorry that I feel that way. Issues like this are important to the continued success of our guys and gals in uniform.

The revolution is at hand. Will you be a leader or a follower?

No comments:

Post a Comment