Monday, October 27, 2008

My Military GI Bill

This is a bit outdated, but I just wanted to make a comment regarding the new and improved GI Bill. The increase in benefits will be a great thing, should it ever come to fruition, so the fact that I am supportig McCain's stance has some of my fellow vets rather mystified.

Instead of getting a certain stipend every month, based on credits taken, I will instead get a 100% coverage of my school tuition. That is great for me, as I cannot continue to go to UCF and will have to revert to the much more expensive University if Phoenix. If UCF would just offer the classes I need WHEN I need them (like, NOT at noon or 1PM, but at night or on weekends) I would much rather finish my degree through them. But they do not, and I am forced to make the switch.

But I agree with MCCain, who objects to the bill. The massive increase in benefits just might encourage a lot more of our military to get out when their tour is up. Our fighting forces are already strapped with keeping quality people, and this bill just might have an adverse affect. Even the PENTAGON does not like it, and they are pretty much ALL military or military vets.

John McCain is working to get anotehr bill put together, but with inclusions that require some giving back to the service. There is nothing wrong with that. There are (or were) programs in the Navy that required extra terms of service in return for a more rapid advancement. Programs like the Navy Nuclear Power Program and some of the advanced electronic programs come to mind.

The fact that there are so many against John McCain on this issue goes to show just who understands our military forces and who does not. So, while I welcome getting 100% coverage to my tuition, I shudder to see what an unmodified version will do to our satus of forces.

No comments:

Post a Comment